Friday, June 03, 2011

on my honor


my wife's grandfather who turned 95 this year has really lived quite the life. a child in the 1920's, a teenager during the great depression, and a young man through world war 2. he worked the same job and was married to the same woman for most of his life.
and when he was still a teenager he was a boy scout, earning enough merit badges to make the rank of "eagle". he attended the first all scout jamboree in washington d.c., and even got to take president roosevelt's chair for a spin on a trip to the white house. my wife wrote more about him here.
one of our little treasures is this coin which he gave to me once to pass around to my boys. it's a coin the scouts were given to keep in their pocket, and upon completing their good deed for the day, transfer to the other pocket. i like this idea ve
ry much, the idea of this coin sitting there and reminding you consciously to stay alert and be on the lookout for opportunities to do a good turn. and the creed on the front that reminds me that i must continually strive for excellence, and that this exchange is between me and my conscience. "on my honor". although i don't carry this coin every day, it's something i think on when the deed is done.
"good deeds are obvious, and even those that are not obvious cannot remain hidden forever."
- 1 timothy 5:25

No comments: