Monday, April 11, 2011

night church

it's nearly 6pm on a sunday night and i'm flying down murphy's grade road following my friend jess. we're both returning from a weekend in the mountains with our families. jess is riding his r60 and i'm on his brother todd's r75. its' april and the days are just beginning to grow longer. it is sunday night, almost 6pm and the road is nearly empty. it's the dinner hour and the night before the return to the work week, and most people have settled in by now.
as we near the angels camp high school i glance over to my left and something catches my eye. the sign for the church advertises a sunday evening service and i see the small crowd arriving. my head spins as a thousand sunday evening memories come flooding back. it's 6 o' clock and i am back in the church of my growing up. night church is for the hardcore. the devotees. the ones who open and close the doors. it is the inner core. and i am transported there. seeing the faces of those no longer here. the more casual atmosphere. it is family time. old time testimonials. a glimpse into the pain of the olders. it is where i am now in life.
and as we speed by at nearly 70mph i am drifting now. i am taking night church away with me. and it now rides on the back of my bike as new worship continues.

No comments: