Wednesday, February 09, 2011

favorite things 13

this little guy was a gift to me and my wife from my mother who received it as a wedding present back in 1958. he sat on all our counters growing up and always held the promise (not always delivered) of treats squirreled away inside his belly. although he has been dropped many times and repaired again and again he remains intact. opening the jar and sniffing inside i can still smell my mom's fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.
one day i was out running errands and my wife called to tell me something strange had happened. on the wall behind the stove there was a little protective plate that covered a vent pipe which ran up to the roof. she had been in the kitchen and suddenly heard a loud thud come from behind the plate followed by a furious scratching sound. she called and asked me what it could be. the only thing i could think was that some poor animal had been prancing across the rooftop and accidentally fallen through the rooftop vent. a squirrel!
by the time i got home the scratching had stopped and i really didn't want to pry the plate off the wall and shovel the little guy out. so for the rest of the time we lived at that house i couldn't look at our little squirrel friend here without also looking at that wall plate and thinking of what was on the other side.

1 comment:

vance said...

I like that story. It always interests me when ugly things have sentimental value. Your squirrel is ugly, but I respect the fact that it is sentimental... My mom once had a foot and half tall porcelain ET, ugly thing, but luckily it never made it to the sentimental side and disappeared. I should ask her what happened to it.