Sunday, October 03, 2010

miss u


i lost my cell phone about a month ago. i actually did find part of it, but the majority was destroyed by cars on the 80 fwy which meant i had to go looking for a new one. now buying a new anything is a major ordeal for me, but it didn't help that i had grown attached to my little celly over the five years we enjoyed our relationship together.
i actually went to the phone store two other times before staying long enough to make a purchase. i don't know, maybe i just felt like it was too soon. i even went hunting around on the internet and found the exact make and model of my old phone on some website and briefly considered purchasing it again. but technology being what it is i figured even the most basic model would have to surpass what i had from back in 2005.
yeah, not so much. although smaller and basically the same type of phone, the new one has me missing my old phone even more. i'm not a big tech gadget guy, so this actually came as a bit of a surprise to me. when i'd be in a room full of people all talking about their phones and the various features i'd always chime in and say "well mine does everything i want it to..." to which somebody would answer "like what?". "it makes phone calls" i'd reply. and that is truthfully how i felt, and mostly still do.
so since this one does just that too, i figured it had to be something else. i guess it's kind of like that old line in a break up, "really, it's not you. it's me". only i don't have plans to break up just yet. after all we've only had one call together. i figure it may just take me a little time to warm up.
honestly i think what i miss is the familiarity. the look and feel. i miss the little picture that greeted me each time i opened it. the start up tone from a carrier that no longer exists. the glowing orange frame around my keypad. my ring tone. if you had an old timex watch, and one birthday you got yourself a new watch, sure you'd wear it, but wouldn't you find yourself going to look at the time and just feeling a little disoriented? ah well, life goes on right?

No comments: