Sunday, October 31, 2010

boo!


so many kids out tonight all looking for the same thing. a little sugar fix. i can still remember being a kid and trying to figure it all out. "people give you candy for just knocking on the door?" i was a pretty shy kid and if i close my eyes i can still see out through the eyeholes of my paper ultraman mask with flame retardant jumpsuit. "now who are you supposed to be?" i heard over and over again that night. "i'm japanese superstar ultraman!" i wanted to shout, but mostly said nothing. the smell of my own breath and the sound of heavy breathing inside the mask. i kept looking down at my feet to see where i was going. as we came down the last street around the corner from my house a pickup truck with high school kids in the back pulled up and they all jumped out. "run!!!" some kid yelled. my brother and i booked across the last two lawns, ran up our steps and locked ourselves inside. safe for another year.

No comments: