Thursday, February 18, 2010

ride your bicycle

the days have been a lot warmer around here this week and the break in winter storms makes it feel like an early spring. so yesterday i hauled all of the bikes out of the garage and began tuning them up. wrenches and screwdrivers, oil and grease. i'm no great mechanic, but i really enjoy doing this kind of work. i fired up the compressor to add air to the deflated tires and raised seats to accommodate growing legs. i added a water bottle holder to my wife's bike and straightened her handlebars. my kids even got out their paint brushes and stickers to further add to our tune up session and give their rides some added flair.
there is something simple and very satisfying in keeping your own bicycle running well. as a kid i depended on my schwinn daily to help me complete my paper route. when i had a blowout i'd just add another patch until the tubes finally split from wear. (stretch that paper route money)
my own bike still needs a little attention though and so later i went out for a ride on barbara's step through and got some chuckles from the kids sitting outside the 7-11. i just smiled and coasted on by.

No comments: