Saturday, October 24, 2009

these days...

i was driving to the bay area today in my car listening to a little mix i'd put on my i pod. i don't often get a chance to listen to music in the car anymore because i'm usually on the bike. as i was listening it occurred to me that i'm at an age where most if not all of the most meaningful music in my life has already played. that's not to say i won't still continue to discover and enjoy new music, but i think the intensity of music during a certain time in my life has passed. i used to spot people who were twenty years out of high school still sporting the same look they had as teenagers and imagined they still cycled through all the same 8 tracks as well. now i guess it's happening to me. i used to dread the day i'd finally admit it to myself, but strangely i'm ok. i love music and i want to keep digging on new stuff, but i think it's ok to point to an era and say "that's my time. that was when i was hyper-aware. this is what helped form me. these are my influences." hopefully i won't have to endure some horrible pbs post punk reunion show someday.

No comments: